"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol
before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." - Winston Churchill

Hear Here


"Information is moving -- you know, nightly news is one way, of course, but it's also
moving through the blogosphere and through the Internets." - George W. Bush

Friday, May 2, 2008

Shell Head



The Summer movie season has officially started. Leading it off is the much anticipated Marvel Comics Iron Man.

I must admit, I was never much of an Iron Man fan. I always thought that he never really fit into the Superhero role very well, as the character has always been self centered, self gratifying and egotistical. Those are his good traits.

Iron Man is also flawed as many Superheros are but not in good ways. I liken him to Batman from DC Comics the most. Both of these characters are loners yet seem always to be teaming up with others despite this trait. Neither have Super Powers but have manufactured themselves into Superheros with their great wealth and high intelligence.

As Bruce Wayne (Batman's alter ego) is, Tony Stark (Iron Man's a.e.) is a ladies man. The difference is that Wayne is only posing as a ladies man to distance him from his brooding alter ego. Tony Stark is more self indulgent and seems not to care when breaking a girl's heart.

While Bruce Wayne and Tony Stark are both philanthropists, Wayne actually comes across as sincere when he gives to the community. Stark is only looking for a tax break.

I could go on and on but why bother. The irony is that my favorite Comic Book Superhero is Batman and my favorite comics are from Marvel. Iron Man has always been one of my least favorite characters and DC comics, at least during the years I was reading comics, was always a bit disappointing.

All that being said, Iron Man the movie looks like it's going to "kick ass". I'm really excited to go see it. Maybe because they have updated the character or it's the special effects but this movie looks like a hit. It does have one of my favorite actors, Robert Downey Jr., playing the lead role. Either way, I can't wait to see it.

0 comments: